Saturday, 25 June 2016

Glenart Castle

THE EARLS OF CARYSFORT WERE MAJOR LANDOWNERS IN COUNTY WICKLOW, WITH 16,674 ACRES

The family of PROBY, of antiquity and distinction, came originally from Wales, and were there named Ap-Probyn; though they flourished for many ages in Huntingdonshire.

RANDOLPH PROBY, of the city of Chester, settled at Brampton, Huntingdonshire, at the close of the 15th century, and by his wife, Alice Bernard, had two sons,
RALPH, of Brampton, dsp;
PETER, of whom we treat.
His surviving son,

SIR PETER PROBY, of Brampton, Huntingdonshire, and Swithin's Lane, London, served the office of Lord Mayor of London in 1622, and dying three years afterwards, left several children, of whom the eldest,

SIR HENEAGE PROBY (1600-67), Knight, of Elton, married Helen, daughter of Edward Allen, of Finchley, and had two sons.

Sir Heneage served the office of Sheriff of Buckinghamshire, and was MP for Agmondesham.

He was succeeded by his elder son,

SIR THOMAS PROBY (1632-89), who was created a baronet in 1662.

He married Frances, daughter of Sir Thomas Cotton Bt, of Connington, Huntingdonshire, and left an only surviving daughter, Alice, who wedded Thomas Wentworth, and was mother of Thomas, Marquess of Rockingham.

Sir Thomas dying thus without male issue, the baronetcy expired, but the estates devolved upon his brother,

JOHN PROBY, at whose decease, in 1710, those estates passed to the next male heir,

WILLIAM PROBY (elder son of Charles, third son of Sir Peter Proby), governor of Fort St George, Madras, who married Henrietta, daughter of Robert Cornwall, of Borrington, Herefordshire, by whom he had a daughter, Editha, the wife of Sir John Osborne Bt, of Newtown, County Tipperary, and an only son,

JOHN PROBY, of Elton Hall,  MP for Huntingdonshire, who espoused Jane, eldest daughter of John, 1st Baron Gower, and had by her,
JOHN, his successor;
William;
Thomas, killed at the attack of Fort Ticonderoga, 1756;
Charles, captain RN;
Baptist (Very Rev), Dean of Lichfield;
Caroline.
Mr Proby was succeeded by his eldest son, 

THE RT HON SIR JOHN PROBY KB (1720-72), MP for Huntingdonshire, and one of the Lords of the Admiralty in 1757, who was elevated to the Irish peerage as Baron Carysfort in 1752.

His lordship wedded, in 1750, Elizabeth, daughter of John, 2nd Viscount Allen, and co-heir of her brother John, 3rd Viscount, by whom he had issue,

JOHN JOSHUA, 2nd Baron, KP, who was created EARL OF CARYSFORT, in 1789.

This nobleman was appointed a Knight of the Most Illustrious Order of St Patrick in 1784

He espoused, in 1774, Elizabeth, only daughter of the Rt Hon Sir William Osborne Bt, of Newtown, County Tipperary, by whom he had issue,
WILLIAM ALLEN, Lord Proby (1779-1804); Captain, RN;
JOHN, 2nd Earl;
Granville Leveson;
Gertrude.
The 1st Earl espoused secondly, in 1787, Elizabeth, daughter of the Rt Hon George Grenville, and sister of George, 1st Marquess of Buckingham, and left by that lady at his decease, in 1828, three other daughters, namely,
Charlotte;
Frances;
Elizabeth.
The Probys were a Patrick family, viz. three Earls were appointed to the Order of St Patrick.

In 1860, Lord Carysfort married Charlotte, daughter of Rev Robert Booshy, but the marriage was childless, and the titles expired on the death of the 5th Earl.


GLENART CASTLE, near Arklow, County Wicklow, was originally a hunting lodge of ca 1750, enlarged in the castellated style during the early 1800s by John Proby, 1st Earl of Carysfort.

It was known for a while as Kilcarra Castle.

Between 1177 and 1185, large quantities of land were granted by Prince John acting on behalf of his father, HENRY II, to Theobald Walter from whom were descended the Butler Family and the Earls of Ormonde.

The Butlers held their possession in this area for the next 500 years.

Glenart was enlarged again in 1869.


It is a fairly austere structure, mainly two-storey, though partly of three storeys dominated by a square, battlemented tower.

There are large rectangular windows with hood mouldings, three-sided bows and a battlemented parapet.


The Castle was partially burnt in 1920, though the remaining half continued to be inhabited by the family as an occasional residence till it was sold during the 2nd World War to a religious order, which rebuilt it in an institutional style. 

Other seat ~ Elton Hall, Peterborough.
Former town house ~ 11 Lower Berkeley Street, London.

Carysfort arms courtesy of European Heraldry.   First published in May, 2012.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

A few years ago we stayed on a seriously remote sheep station in northern South Australia. The next visitors were to be Sir William & Lady Proby, coming out to see their ancestor's grave (Hugh Proby, I think) apparently, who had been swept away, plus horse, in a flash flood in about the 1840s...