Saturday 19 November 2022

Civic Heritage Walk

25 Donegall Place

I motored into town one morning in 2016.

Unable to find a space in Upper Arthur Street and the vicinity, drove slightly further out, to Franklin Street.

My mission was to take a few photographs; specifically, of 25 Donegall Place, presently a fashion retailer called Oasis.

Number 25 was built as part of a terrace in 1790-91.

Old Bricks at 25 Donegall Place

This building is beside Queen's Arcade.

It used to run right back to the premises at 28-30 Fountain Street, now known as Carlton House.

28-30 Fountain Street in 2016

For many years this belonged to the Carlton café and restaurant.


Looking up towards the apex of Queen's Arcade, the art deco monogram "AR" is clearly visible, an allusion to the clothing retailer Austin Reed which operated a branch at the entrance to the arcade.

*****

THENCE I motored in a southerly direction to University Road, Upper Crescent, and Lower Crescent.


The former Methodist church still stands derelict at 21 University Road; though I gather that it has been acquired by the pub chain, viz. J D Wetherspoon [for sale again in April, 2022].

Detail at former Methodist Church

Many, if not most, of the properties in Upper Crescent remain in a deplorable state, though there is hope that these circumstances might change, because To Let or For Sale signs emblazon this crescent [most, if not the entire terrace has been restored in 2022].

I strolled through the little park to Lower Crescent at the opposite side and, though imperfect, most of the properties have fared better.

Several are an eyesore, however.

The Crescent Townhouse boutique hotel [now The 1852 hotel] is at the corner of Lower Crescent and Botanic Avenue.

This was formerly called The Regency Hotel.

I wandered in and complimented the staff on their website with its history of the crescent.

First published in February, 2016.

4 comments :

oldmanofthewest said...

I often nipped into the old Regency Hotel for a swift gin and tonic prior to entraining at Botanic. In those days, it had what I considered to be the height of convenience (literally)- the front pages of the quality broadsheets in frames directly above the urinals. This meant that one was not only relieved but also better informed.

Peter Tulloch said...

The regency was good for lunch in the 80s. The nightclub upstairs was called the Pink Flamingo - in my early 20s I had many a good night there.

Anonymous said...

In my days working in TSB botinic ave we had lunch in the regency on the odd occasion - always good. The nightclub upstairs was called the Pink Flamingo. I had many a good night there (I was in my early 20s) - I remember a young Timothy Ferres being there.

Timothy Belmont said...

Good Lord, Peter, young Timothy, Viscount Sydenham before he inherited the Earldom! By Jove.