It is extremely compact, and the smallest in extent of any in the island of Ireland, which is not annexed to another see.
It extends only 35 miles from north to south; and 21 from east to west; yet it includes some part of three counties, namely Down, Armagh, and Antrim.
The lordship of Newry claimed the same exemption from episcopal jurisdiction, to which it was entitled when it appertained to a monastery before the Reformation.
The proprietor of the lordship, the Earl of Kilmorey, exercised the jurisdiction in his peculiar court, granting marriage licences, probates to wills etc under the old monastic seal.
The palace was enhanced by Bishop Beresford's successor, the Rt Rev Thomas Percy, who laid out plantations, gardens and a glen, adorned with obelisks.
The last prelate to reside at the palace was the Right Rev James Saurin, Lord Bishop of Dromore, 1819-42.
It was sold in 1842, when the see of Dromore was merged with Down and Connor.
Dromore House was in use for some years in the late 1800s as a school.
First published in January, 2013.