Wednesday, 11 March 2015

Aughrane Castle


The direct ancestor of this family was SIR ROBERT BAGOD, born in 1213,
Chief Justice of the Irish Common Pleas, 1274, who obtained a grant of the manor of The Rath, near Dublin (known today as Baggotrath; and also the lands of Baggotstown in County Limerick. Sir Robert died after 1298.
His lineal descendant, 

EDWARD BAGOT (1620-1711), of Harristown, King's County, and of Walterstown, County Kildare, was a Royal Commissioner for King's County, 1663, and High Sheriff of Kildare, 1677; and King's County, 1680.

He wedded, in 1659, Catherine, daughter of William Colborne, of Great Connell, County Kildare; and dying at the advanced age of 90, in 1711, left issue,
MILO, his heir;
The eldest son, 

COLONEL MILO BAGOT (1660-1730), of Ard, Newtown, and Kilcoursey, wedded, in 1700, Margaret, daughter of Edmond and sister of Colonel Andrew Armstrong, of Mauricetown, County Kildare; by whom he left issue,
JOHN, his heir;
Elizabeth; Mary.
Colonel Bagot's eldest son,

JOHN BAGOT (1702-60), of Ard, County Offaly, married, in 1728, Mary Herbert, of Durrow Abbey, County Offaly, by whom he left issue,
Milo, dsp;
William, dsp;
Charles, dsp;
JOHN LLOYD, of whom hereafter;
Thomas, dsp;
Mary, dsp;
The fourth son,

JOHN LLOYD BAGOT, of Ard and Ballymoe,
a captain in the 37th Foot, and ADC to Lord Cornwallis during the American war, wedded, in 1775, Catherine Anne, daughter of Michael Cuffe, of Ballymoe, a descendent of James, Lord Tyrawley, and of Elizabeth Cuffe, alias Pakenham, created Countess of Longford.
He died in 1718, leaving issue,
John Cuffe, dsp;
William, dsp;
THOMAS NEVILLE, of whom we treat;
Cordelia; Louisa; Maria.
His third son, 

THOMAS NEVILLE BAGOT (1784-1863), of Ard and Ballymoe, espoused, in 1811, Ellen, daughter of John Fallon, of County Roscommon, by whom he left issue,
Bernard William;
Charles Augustus;
CHRISTOPHER NEVILLE, of Aughrane Castle;
Letitia Mary; Ellen; Catherine.
His eldest son,

JOHN LLOYD NEVILLE-BAGOT JP, (1814-90), of Ballymoe, married Anne Georgina, daughter of Edward Henry Kirwan, in 1843.

His eldest son,

EDWARD THOMAS LLOYD NEVILLE-BAGOT (1848-90), of Ballymoe and Aughrane, County Galway, married, in 1876, Ellen, daughter of Francis Meagher, by whom he left an only son,

MILO VICTOR NEVILLE-BAGOT, of Ballymoe, and of Aughrane Castle, born in 1880.

He married Maria Boccacio in 1908, in a childless marriage.

Photo credit: Dr Patrick Melvin & Eamonn de Burca

AUGHRANE CASTLE (or Castle Kelly), near Ballygar, County Galway, was a castellated house of 19th century appearance.

It had small bartizans at the corners; plain windows with hood mouldings; and a simple, battlemented porch.

There was a gabled range at one end; a gabled tower behind.

It is said that the Bagot family played a very passive role in the life of the area, other than to collect rents due.

The owner, Christopher Bagot, spent very little time on the estate, and left the management to his two brothers, Charlie and John.

Christopher Bagot bought a house in a fashionable part of London, and entertained fairly lavishly.

Through these parties he came to know a young society lady of great charm and beauty called Alice Verner. Within a short time they were married – believed to be in 1874.

In due course a son was born to them.

Mrs Christopher Bagot continued to have a high life and relations between herself and her husband soon became strained.

They returned to Castle Kelly in 1876, and some time later he banished her and their young son from his home.

He subsequently drew up a will leaving his entire estate to his brother, John Bagot.

His health failed rapidly and he died in 1877.

Mrs Bagott contested the last will made by her husband, and a much-publicised trial ensued at the Probate Court in Dublin.

The trial lasted for a month, and the court found in favour of Mrs Bagott and her son.

The Court administered the estate on their behalf until the young heir came of age.

The entire estate was offered for sale in 1903.

The Irish Land Commission was the purchaser, and later the Irish Forestry Commission acquired Castle Kelly and the 1,600 acres surrounding it.

The house was demolished in 1919.

First published in March, 2013.

No comments :