Mr Templer was educated at Westminster, and Trinity College Cambridge.
He married, in 1860, Geraldine, youngest daughter of Captain Francis Manley Shawe, leaving issue, his second son,
LIEUTENANT-COLONEL WALTER FRANCIS TEMPLER CBE DL (1865-1942), of the Manor House, Loughgall, Royal Irish Fusiliers, and Army Pay Department, 1888-1921, who wedded, in 1895, Mabel Eileen (Little Castle Dillon, near Armagh), third daughter of Major Robert Johnston, Highland Light Infantry, and Army Pay Department, leaving issue,
FIELD-MARSHAL SIR GERALD WALTER ROBERT TEMPLER KG GCB GCMG KBE DSO, of Little Castle Dillon, County Armagh, and 12 Wilton Street, London.
Sir Gerald is pictured, above, wearing the robe of a Knight Grand Cross of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath (GCB).
In his right hand he holds his field-marshal's baton.
The Northern Ireland Horticulture & Plant Breeding station is set in the former Cope Estate, surrounded by mature woodlands and overlooking the Lough Gall.
The estate was established in the late 17th century by Sir Anthony Cope, of Hanwell, Oxfordshire, and became the Cope family home for 350 years.
In 1947 the estate was purchased from Sir Gerald Templer, a descendant of the original owner, by the (then) Ministry of Agriculture.
First published in February, 2013.