The Hares are traditionally of Scottish origin, and are stated to have settled in Ulster at the period of religious persecution in Scotland.
They were first established in the barony of Glenawley, County Fermanagh, and were subsequently moved to the barony of Clonkelly, in another part of the same county, on the acquisition of the property of Armagh Manor by
JAMES HAIRE, who first adopted the additional i in the surname.
He wedded Anne, daughter of William Henry, a Dublin merchant, and had issue,
ROBERT, his heir;Mr Haire was succeeded by his eldest son,
Hamilton (Rev), of Glasdrumman, Co Fermanagh;
Henry, in military service;
ROBERT HAIRE, of Armagh Manor, Barrister, who married, in 1799, Elizabeth, daughter of William Babington, of Cavan, and left issue at his decease, about 1851, a son and daughter, viz.
JAMES, his heir;Mr Haire was succeeded by his only son,
Anne, m to Rev H Dawson.
JAMES HAIRE, of Armagh Manor, born in 1801, High Sheriff of County Fermanagh, 1853, who was succeeded by his cousin,
WILLIAM HAMILTON HAIRE JP (1834-1914), of Armagh Manor, Major, 3rd Battalion, Royal Irish Fusiliers, son of the Rev Hamilton Haire, of Mount Bailey, County Louth, by his wife Charlotte, daughter of William Forster.
Major Haire wedded, in 1876, Sarah, daughter of William H Jackson, of Killarney House, County Wicklow.
He was succeeded by his nephew,
ARTHUR J McGREGOR HAIRE (1869-1938), of Armagh Manor, who married, in 1914, Rebecca, daughter of Thomas Courtney, of Ballagh, County Fermanagh, and had, with other issue, a son,
ARTHUR JOSEPH THOMAS HAIRE, born in 1917.
ARMAGH MANOR, near Lisnaskea, County Fermanagh, is a Scottish-Baronial style Victorian country house of 1865.
A centrally attached turret, containing the main doorway, faces south-east.
The block to the left has a canted bay window, three small sash windows above it, and a bartizan at the corner.
To the right there are two sets of three-sash windows, and two to the left.
Crow-stepped gables are prominent.
James Haire (JH) welcomed visitors to his new home, in 1865, with the adage "Ye Blissin of God be Heirin" above the threshold.
There is a crow-stepped archway into the courtyard, with outbuildings attached.
The landscaping was never completed after the nearby quarry was flooded by a spring and the contractor suffered bankruptcy.
The Haire family continues to live at Armagh Manor, which now comprises 250 acres of land.
First published in February, 2015.