William, of Ashmoyne;The younger son,
ALEXANDER, of Ballybofey.
WILLIAM, of Cloghan;The eldest son,
Alexander, of Ballybofey;
a daughter; Margaret; Mary.
JAMES KNOX, of Kilcaddan, County Donegal, who left, by Martha his wife,
WILLIAM, of Kilcaddan;The eldest son,
Carncross, of Ballybofey;
Margaret; Elizabeth; Martha.
WILLIAM KNOX, of Kilcaddan, County Donegal, High Sheriff, 1776, married, in 1778, Elizabeth, only child of Charles Nesbitt, of Scurmore, County Sligo, and had issue, a son,
COLONEL CHARLES NESBITT KNOX (-1860), of Scurmore, County Sligo, and Castle Lacken, County Mayo, High Sheriff of Sligo, 1810, and Mayo, 1831, who married, in 1810, Jane Cuff, testamentary heiress of James, Lord Tyrawley, and had issue,
CHARLES, his heir;The only son,
CHARLES KNOX (1817-67), of Cranmore, Ballinrobe, County Mayo, High Sheriff, 1860, Colonel, North Mayo Militia, wedded, in 1839, the Lady Louisa Catherine Browne, daughter of Howe Peter, 2nd Marquess of Sligo, and had issue,
CHARLES HOWE CUFF, his heir;Colonel Knox was succeeded by his eldest son,
Howe James, Lieutenant-Colonel;
CHARLES HOWE CUFF KNOX JP DL (1840-1921), of Creagh, High Sheriff, 1873, Honorary Colonel, Connaught Rangers, who married, in 1869, Henrietta Elizabeth, daughter of the Rt Hon Sir William Gibson Craig Bt.
There is a stained-glass window "In memory of Charles Howe Cuff Knox who died 27th Dec. 1921 aged 81 years" in the Church of Ireland (now the Library) in County Mayo.
Colonel Knox had issue,
Charles William Cuffe, dvp 1910;The eldest surviving son,
HENRY HOWE, his heir;
Gerald Vivian Cuffe, Commander RN;
CREAGH HOUSE, near Ballinrobe, County Mayo, was built in 1875 for Captain Charles Howe Cuff Knox, to the design of S U Roberts.
Sadly diminished drastically in size in the 1930s by fire (it appears to have been halved), there still remains today a sizeable period house of around 6,000 square feet.
It is located in beautiful and secluded surroundings, habitable, and indeed inhabited, but needing further restoration.
The property today occupies grounds of just under two acres, looking toward Lough Mask.
The grounds are partially wooded with lawned areas around the house.
The front of the house has magnificent views over the Tourmakeady mountains and from some aspects, to the lake.
First published in January, 2013.