Tuesday, 9 August 2016

The Rock House

THE CLIVES WERE MAJOR LANDOWNERS IN COUNTY MAYO, WITH 35,000 ACRES 

The family of CLIVE is descended from Robert Clive, of Styche, Shropshire.

GEORGE CLIVE JP DL (1805-80), of Ballycroy, County Mayo, and of Perrystone Court, Herefordshire, MP for Hereford, third son of Edward Clive, of Whitfield, wedded, in 1835, Ann Sybella Martha, second daughter of Sir Thomas Harvie Farquhar Bt, and had issue,
EDWARD HENRY;
Archer Anthony, barrister, 1842-77;
Charles Farquhar;
Sybella Harriet;
Kathleen.
His eldest son,

GENERAL EDWARD HENRY CLIVE JP DL (1837-1916), of Perrystone Court, and of Ballycroy, wedded, in 1867, Isabel, daughter of Daniel Hale Webb, and had issue,
GEORGE SYDNEY, his heir;
Edward Archer Bolton;
Richard Alfred;
Henry Ambrose;
Sybil Mary; Isabel Kathleen; Laura Cicely; Judith Evelyn.
General Clive's eldest son,

LIEUTENANT-GENERAL SIR GEORGE SIDNEY CLIVE GCVO KCB CMG DSO (1874-1959), died following a catastrophic fire at the family residence, Perrystone Court, in 1959.

The Clives of Ballycroy, as they subsequently became known, distinguished themselves as members of Parliament and as soldiers.

Their cousins were the celebrated Clives of India.


In the vicinity of The Rock House, George Clive, who acquired the estate, planted approximately 72 acres of forest, including walkways leading from The Rock House to the sea and rivers on the property.

The forest, now beautifully matured, consists of some unique species, e.g., Austrian Pine, Spanish Chest Nut, etc., some of whom were reportedly supplied by Clive of India and delivered by train to the nearby Mulranny Station.

In 1982 Jacques Maillet and his son Jean Claude established Tucson Investments, having an 80% and 20% ownership respectively.

In 1986 they purchased The Rock House in Ballycroy and some 300 acres consisting of woodlands, blanket bog, non-agricultural land, stretches of the Owenduff and Ballyveeney rivers and shooting rights to approximately 32,000 acres in West Mayo.

The Maillets have already made an investment of €600,000 in the refurbishment of The Rock House and nearby lodge, converting both to high quality accommodation for paying guests.


The Rock House has now become an established tourist destination.

First published in July, 2012.

No comments :