JOHN, his heir;
Mary, m John Hawkins;
JOHN JOHNSTON, of Gill Hall, who assumed, in consequence, the surname and arms of MAGILL, and was created a baronet, 1680.
Sir John, MP for Hillsborough, 1692-93, and for Downpatrick, 1695-99, married firstly, in 1677, Elizabeth Mary, daughter of William Hawkins; and secondly, in 1683, Arabella Susannah, daughter of Hugh Hamilton, 1st Viscount Glenawly.
Sir John died without surviving issue in 1701, when the title expired.
The estates, however, devolved, in accordance with the will of the original testator, John Magill, upon the baronet's nephew and heir,
He espoused firstly, in 1728, Rachael, eldest daughter of Clotworthy, 3rd Viscount Massereene and widow of Randal, 4th Earl of Antrim, and by her had an only son, JOHN (1729-36).
Mr Hawkins-Magill wedded secondly, in 1742, the Lady Ann Bligh, daughter of John, 1st Earl of Darnley, and had issue an only daughter and heiress,
THEODOSIA HAWKINS-MAGILL (1743-1817), who married, in 1765, John, 1st Earl of Clanwilliam.
In the 1650s, during Cromwellian land confiscation and the subsequent plantation era following the Irish rebellion of 1641, Captain John Magill acquired land in the Tullylish area and founded Gilford, the name of the village being derived from Magill’s Ford.
Gilford dates from the mid-17th century when the Magill family, after whom it was called, acquired the land. The Magills were of Scottish origin.
Robin Knowles once unearthed a manuscript in a library in Northern Ireland concerning Sir John Magill,
In 1674, Magill held a grand pheasant shoot on his estate which had been stocked with nine hundred birds obtained by natural hatch and from eggs hatched under broody hens. He invited sixty-four guns - a nobleman and a commoner from each of the Kingdom of Ireland's thirty-two counties - to shoot and they bagged three hundred pheasants in a day.First published in February, 2011