He dsp and was succeeded by his nephew,
COLONEL ADAM DOWNING (1666-1719), who was present at the siege of Londonderry, and there gave signal proofs of his courage.
Subsequently he raised a body of men at his own expense, and served during the war in Ireland, participating in the battle of the Boyne, and contributing eminently by his gallantry and skill, to the success of the party with which he was engaged.
For these services he received the appointment of Deputy Governor of County Londonderry, Colonel of the Militia, and one of the commissioners of Array; and also acquired a large tract of land in County Londonderry
Colonel Downing married Margaret, daughter of Thomas Jackson, of Coleraine (ancestor of Sir George Jackson Bt), and had issue,
Henry, died in infancy;He was buried at Bellaghy, County Londonderry. The inscription on his memorial mentions his descent from the Devonshire family.
JOHN, of whom hereafter.
Colonel Downing's son and successor,
JOHN DOWNING (1700-), of Bellaghy and Rowesgift, raised, at considerable expense, a body of men during the uprising of 1745.
He wedded Anne, daughter and heir of the Rev J Roe DD, descended from an old Devonshire family, and had three sons,
Clotworthy;The second son,
DAWSON, of whom presently;
John, army officer.
DAWSON DOWNING (1739-1807), of Rowesgift, County Londonderry, inherited the ancient mansion and resided in it till his death.
He espoused firstly, Catherine, niece and heiress of Alexander Fullerton, of Ballintoy Castle, County Antrim, descended from a branch of the ancient Scottish family of that name.
The first of the family of FULLERTON who settled in Ulster was Fergus Fullarton [sic], in the reign of JAMES I.
By her had had one son,
GEORGE ALEXANDER, of whom presently.Mr Dawson Downing married secondly, Sarah Catherine, daughter of Hugh Boyd, of Ballycastle, County Antrim, and by her had (with six daughters) four sons,
John, of Rowesgift;Mr Downing's son by his first wife,
GEORGE ALEXANDER DOWNING (1775-1847), having inherited a considerable property from his great-uncle, assumed 1794, in compliance with that gentleman's testamentary injunction, the surname and arms of FULLERTON, and became of Tockington Manor and Ballintoy.
He wedded Mary Anne, daughter of James Peacock, and had issue,
ALEXANDER GEORGE, his heir;The eldest son,
David, of Pennington House, father of GEORGE FREDERICK;
Catherine; Susan; Frances; Mary Anne.
ALEXANDER GEORGE FULLERTON (1808-1907), of Ballintoy Castle, Brevet-Major, Royal Horse Guards, Attaché to the embassy at Paris, espoused, at Paris, in 1833, the Lady Georgiana Leveson-Gower, second daughter of the 1st Earl Granville GCB, and had a son and heir,
WILLIAM GRANVILLE FULLERTON, born at the British Embassy, Paris, 1834; dvp 1855.
Mr Fullerton was succeeded by his nephew,
GEORGE FREDERICK DOWNING FULLERTON (1857-1916), of Ballintoy, and Alveston, Gloucestershire, and Purley Park, Berkshire, Captain, 4th Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles, who married, in 1889, Leila Minna Gertrude, only child of Major A M Storer, of Purley Park, Berkshire, and had issue,
GEORGE CECIL, 1891-1953;Seats - Westwood, Hampshire; Ballintoy Castle, County Antrim; Tockington Manor, Gloucestershire.
Richard Alexis, b 1893;
Ivy Leila; Myra Aida Violet.
Ballintoy Castle must have been a very important local focal point and from 1630 to mid-18th century.
It was home to the Stewarts of Ballintoy, a family descended from Sir John Stewart of Bute and with blood connections to the Dalriadic Kings of Scotland.
Archibald Stewart, first resident of the Castle, acted as agent to the Earl of Antrim in 1630.
The Rev Archibald Stewart acted as Church of Ireland incumbent to the parishes of Ballintoy and Billy, 1718-37.
Upon his father's death, this clergyman became heir to the family estates at Ballintoy and Acton.
About 1760 Ballintoy Castle and estate were purchased by Alexander Fullerton, who left the property to his niece Catherine.
In 1870, Miss Catherine Downing Nesbitt owned 5,638 acres in County Londonderry.
Interestingly, a close ancestor of her husband, Sir George Downing, who held property in London, gave his name to that street which is now synonymous with Prime Ministers: Downing Street.
Ballintoy Castle was disassembled in 1795, and from it an oak staircase, beams and panelling were transferred for use in Downing College, Cambridge.
First published in May, 2012.