The founder of this noble family in Ireland was
COLONEL HENRY PRITTIE who, for his loyalty and eminent services to the crown, during the civil wars, had a grant, or confirmation, from CHARLES II, of Dunalley Castle, and other estates in County Tipperary, by patent, in 1678.
The grandson of this gentleman,
HENRY PRITTIE, sustained a siege of twenty-one days, in his castle of Dunalley, against the disbanded soldiers of of the royal army of King JAMES II after the battle of the Boyne.
The besiegers, however, at length entering, Mr Prittie was flung headlong from the top of the castle, though miraculously escaped unhurt.
He married Elizabeth, sister of Charles Alcock, and by her had issue,
HENRY, his successor;The elder son,
Priscilla; Elizabeth; Honora; Catherine; Judith.
HENRY PRITTIE, of Dunalley Castle, MP for County Tipperary, wedded, in 1736, Deborah, daughter of the Ven Benjamin O'Neale, Archdeacon of Leighlin, and had issue,
HENRY, his successor;Mr Prittie was succeeded by his son,
Deborah; Elizabeth; Catherine;
Martha; Margaret; Hannah.
HENRY PRITTIE, of Dunalley, who espoused, in 1766, Catherine, second daughter and co-heir of Francis Sadleir, of Sopwell Hall, County Tipperary, widow of John Bury, and mother, by him, of Charles William, Earl of Charleville, by whom he had issue,
HENRY, his successor;Mr Prittie was returned to parliament for County Tipperary in 1768; and elevated to the peerage, in 1800, by the title of BARON DUNALLEY, of Kilboy, County Tipperary.
Francis Aldborough, MP;
Catherine; Deborah; Mary;
The 4th Baron was the last Lord-Lieutenant of County Tipperary, from 1905 until 1922.
The heir apparent is the present holder's son, the Hon Joel Henry Prittie.
- Henry Prittie, 1st Baron (1743–1801);
- Henry Sadlier Prittie, 2nd Baron (1775–1854);
- Henry Prittie, 3rd Baron (1807–85);
- Henry O'Callaghan Prittie, 4th Baron (1851–1927);
- Henry Cornelius O'Callaghan Prittie, 5th Baron (1877–1948);
- Henry Desmond Graham Prittie, 6th Baron (1912–92);
- Henry Francis Cornelius Prittie, 7th Baron (b 1948).
Henry Francis Cornelius Prittie, 7th and present Lord Dunalley, lives in Oxfordshire.
A note in the Dunalley Papers records the sale of the Kerry estate of this family to the Crosbies in 1742 for £1,500.
KILBOY HOUSE, near Nenagh, County Tipperary, was a middle to late 18th century house built for Henry Prittie MP, afterwards 1st Lord Dunalley, to the design of William Leeson.
It had three storeys over a basement; a five-bay entrance front with a central pediment; and four large, engaged Doric columns.
The top storey was treated as an attic above the cornice.
There was a five-bay side elevation.
|Lord Dunalley & Party standing on steps|
The mansion was burnt in 1922 and afterwards rebuilt minus the top storey.
About 1955, the house was demolished and a single-storey house in the Georgian style was built over the original basement.
More recently permission was granted for the reconstruction of a new Kilboy House, by the prominent businessman and philanthropist, Tony Ryan.
The project followed a fire that destroyed a large part of the property in 2005.
The local council granted planning permission for the partial demolition of the existing fire-damaged, listed, single-storey dwelling.
The former three-storey period residence over basement, based on the Georgian mansion house, has been built.
The application, in the name of Tony Ryan's son, Shane, and his wife, stated that the aim was to rebuild the house as it was originally constructed in 1780.
Before reconstruction began, the Ryans paid €60,964 to the council as a contribution to providing public infrastructure such as roads and water.
Dunalley arms courtesy of European Heraldry. First published in January, 2012.