RICHARD CLOSE, the first of the family who settled in Ireland, was the younger son of a respectable house in Yorkshire, and held a commission in the Army, sent from England, in the reign of CHARLES I, 1640.
He acquired property in County Monaghan, but after the Restoration fixed himself at Lisnagarvey, near Lisburn, County Antrim.
There he lived and died, leaving a son and heir,
RICHARD CLOSE, who inherited the County Monaghan estates.
He married Mary, sister of Samuel Waring, of Waringstown, MP for Hillsborough, and received from that gentleman a grant of lands contiguous to Waringstown, on which he built a good house and resided.
This Richard considerably enlarged the family estate by purchasing a tract of land on the River Bann, between Rathfriland and Castlewellan, County Down, and after the disturbances in 1688, which obliged him to leave his home and join the Protestants, then united at Lisburn, under Lord Conway and Sir Arthur Rawdon, he returned (subsequently to the battle of the Boyne) having suffered great losses during the harassing conflicts of the times.He left at his decease five sons and three daughters.
The eldest son, Richard Close, wedded, in 1708, Rose, daughter of Roger Hall, of Narrowwater, County Down, and had issue, now extinct.
The second son,
THE REV SAMUEL CLOSE, who was presented to the rectory of Stewartstown, County Tyrone, 1721, married Catherine, daughter of Captain James Butler, of Bramblestown, County Kilkenny, by Margaret, Lady Maxwell, widow of Sir Robert Maxwell Bt, and daughter and heiress of Henry Maxwell, of Elm Park, and had, with four daughters, a son and successor,
MAXWELL CLOSE, who succeeded his grandmother, Lady Maxwell (who died in 1758), in the possession of Elm Park, County Armagh, and the lands settled upon him.
He was High Sheriff of County Armagh, 1780.
This gentleman married, in 1748, Mary, eldest daughter of Captain Robert Maxwell, of Fellows Hall, County Armagh, brother of John, Lord Farnham, and and issue,
SAMUEL, his heir;
Robert, died unmarried;
BARRY, of whom we treat;
Grace; Catherine; Margaret; Mary; Elizabeth.
SIR BARRY CLOSE (1756-1813), born at Elm Park, a very distinguished officer in the East India Company, in which he attained the rank of major-general, was created a baronet in December, 1812.
Sir Barry died, unmarried, in April following, and the title became extinct.
First published in January, 2014.