Friday, 8 January 2016

Lowry of Pomeroy

THE LOWRY FAMILY OWNED 2,929 ACRES OF LAND IN COUNTY TYRONE

This is a junior branch of the Earl of Belmore's family.

JOHN LOWRY, sprung from an ancient Scottish family, settled at Aghenis, County Tyrone.

He married firstly, Jane, daughter of William Hamilton, of Ballyfallow, and by her (who died at Londonderry during its celebrated siege in 1689), left one son and three daughters, viz.
William, died unmarried;
Elizabeth; Margaret; Mary.
Mr Lowry wedded secondly, Miss Mary Buchanan, a Scottish lady, and had,
John, died unmarried;
ROBERT, succeeded his brother;
Catherine; Rebecca; Anne; Jane.
The only surviving son,

ROBERT LOWRY, of Aghenis, espoused Anne, daughter of the Rev James Sinclair, of Hollyhill, County Tyrone, Rector of Clogherny, and afterwards of Desertcreat, County Tyrone (second son of Sir James Simclair, of Caithness, and had issue,
Robert, of Melbury, dsp;
Galbraith, ancestor of THE EARLS OF BELMORE;
JAMES, of whom we treat.
Mr Lowry, of Aghenis, was succeeded in his principal estates by his elder surviving son, while the younger,

THE REV JAMES LOWRY (1707-87), of Tullyhogue, County Tyrone, founded the branch seated at Pomeroy House.

He married Hester, daughter of William Richardson, of Richhill, MP for Armagh, and sister of Mary, Viscountess Gosford, and had issue,
ROBERT, of Pomeroy;
John (Rev);
James, from whom the
ROCKDALE branch;
Hester.
The eldest son,

ROBERT LOWRY (1748-1802), of Pomeroy, wedded, in 1777, Elizabeth, daughter of Major William Tighe, of Ballyshannon, by whom he had issue,
James, died unmarried;
ROBERT WILLIAM, of Pomeroy;
John;
Armar;
William, of Drumreagh, Commander RN;
Everina; Hester; Elizabeth; Maria.
The eldest surviving son,

ROBERT WILLIAM LOWRY JP DL (1787-1869), of Pomeroy, High Sheriff of County Tyrone, 1812, espoused, in 1815, Anna, eldest daughter of Admiral Samuel Graves, the elder brother of of Rear-Admiral Sir Thomas Graves KB, and by her had issue,
ROBERT WILLIAM, of Pomeroy;
John Fetherstonhaugh;
Anna Jane.
Mr Lowry was succeeded by his eldest son,

ROBERT WILLIAM LOWRY JP DL (1816-99), of Pomeroy House, Barrister-at-Law, High Sheriff, 1849, who married, in 1852, Frances Elizabeth, youngest daughter and co-heir of Benjamin Humphrey Geale Brady, of Mount Geale, County Kilkenny, and by her had issue,
Robert Geale, died in infancy;
ROBERT THOMAS GRAVES, of whom hereafter;
Mary Anne Catherine; Letitia Maria Isabella.
He wedded secondly, in 1880, Dorothea Elizabeth, second daughter of George Folliott, of Vicar's Cross, Cheshire.

The surviving son,

ROBERT THOMAS GRAVES LOWRY JP DL (1857-1947), of Pomeroy House, was High Sheriff, 1896, and a major in the 1st Dragoon Guards.

His sister,

MARY ANNA CATHERINE LOWRY (d 1951), wedded Colonel Charles Murray Alexander.

The son and heir,  

MAJOR CHARLES ADAM MURRAY ALEXANDER MC JP DL (1889-1958),
Commissioned in 1910, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers; fought in 1st World War, wounded and mentioned in despatches; Military Cross, 1917; Brevet Major, 1919; retired from the army, 1930.

High Sheriff, 1936; Deputy Lieutenant, 1938; Justice of the Peace, 1940; was a director of Ulster Bank Ltd; a director of the Pigs Marketing Board, Northern Ireland; a director of the Great Northern Railway; Member, Electricity Board, Northern Ireland.

He was a director of Ferguson Ltd at Dublin; Director of Bessbrook Spinning Company Ltd; director of Harry Ferguson Motors Ltd; director of J N Richardson Sons & Owden Ltd.
Former estates ~ The Manor of Chichester and Leggin, including the town of Pomeroy, in the barony of Dungannon, County Tyrone, possessed about 150 years; and property at Baskine, County Westmeath, acquired by marriage. 


POMEROY HOUSE was built ca 1780 by Robert Lowry.

It consisted of three storeys over a basement, the top storey treated as an attic, above the cornice. 

The entrance front had a central, three-sided bow, one bay on either side of it.

Later there was a projecting porch added to the bow, with Ionic corner-pilasters.

The garden front (above) was of five bays, prolonged by a single-storey dining-room wing of 1815, with Wyatt windows in a three-sided bow and a polygonal lantern on the roof.

The main reception rooms were at the garden front.


*****

MAJOR ALEXANDER inherited Pomeroy House. 

It was sold in 1959 to the Northern Ireland Forest Service, which swiftly demolished it.

The site is now largely a forest.

There is, however, a very fine stand of Scots pine within the forest. There are other old demesne trees and the management is replacing hard-woods. 

The walled garden remains and the offices are extant. Pomeroy Forest School is in modern buildings. Shoots and Christmas trees add to the commercial use. 

On land not owned by the forestry service, now outside the demesne on the south side of the road, is the Alexander Vault, which is listed, with the last few specimens of a monkey puzzle avenue to the vault. One gate lodge remains.

First published in January, 2012.

No comments :