The surname of Adam is of great antiquity in Scotland, as proved by many documents in the public record.
HENRY ADAM, a military man, lived in the reign of WILLIAM THE LION. His son,
ALEXANDER ADAM, was Laird of Roscobie near Forfar, in the reign of ALEXANDER III of Scotland. His eldest son,
DUNCAN ADAM, lived in the reign of ROBERT THE BRUCE, and had four sons, the youngest of whom,
DUNCAN ADAM, who accompanied James, Lord Douglas, in his expedition to Spain on his way to the Holy Land, with the heart of King Robert; and from whom is stated to have descended,
JOHN ADAM, who accompanied JAMES IV of Scotland to Flodden Field, and there lost his life, in 1513. His left a son,
CHARLES ADAM, seated at Fanno, in Forfarshire, ca 1549, who married Margaret Ferguson; by whom he had two sons,
CHARLES, his heir;The elder son,
David, progenitor of Adams of Kingsbarns, Fife;
CHARLES ADAM, of Fanno, wedded Isabel Bisset, by whom he had several sons and daughters.
The second, but eldest surviving son,
ROBERT ADAM, about the end of the reign of Queen MARY, married Isabel, daughter of James Hunter, and was father of
DAVID ADAM, of Fanno, who wedded his cousin, Jean Hunter, by whom he had a son and successor,
ARCHIBALD ADAM, of Fanno, sold his patrimonial lands in the time of CHARLES I, and acquired those of Queensmanour in time same county.
He married Mary, daughter of John Hay, of Montrose, and died in the reign of CHARLES II, leaving issue,
CHARLES, his heir;The eldest son,
JOHN, successor to his nephew, of whom hereafter;
Alexander; Patrick; Phyllis; Mary.
CHARLES ADAM, of Queensmanour, married Elizabeth, daughter of John Wishart, of Logie, Forfarshire; and by her had a son and successor,
JAMES ADAM, of Queenmanour, who sold the paternal estate.
He died unmarried and was succeeded in the representation of the family by his uncle,
JOHN ADAM, who married Helen, daughter of William, 3rd Lord Cranstoun, by whom he left one surviving son,
WILLIAM ADAM (1689-1748), an eminent architect, who purchased several estates, particularly that of Blair, in the county of Kinross, where he built a house and village, which he named Maryburgh.
He married Mary, daughter of William Robertson, of Gladney, and, with other issue, had
JOHN, of whom we treat;Mr Adam died in 1748 and was succeeded by his son,
Robert, architect to GEORGE III; MP for Kinross-shire, 1768;
Mary, m Dr John Drysdale, Dean of the Chapel Royal;
Susanna, m John Clerk;
JOHN ADAM OF BLAIR ADAM (1721-92), of Maryburgh, who wedded, in 1750, Jean, daughter of John Ramsay; by whom he had, with other issue, a son and successor,
THE RT HON WILLIAM ADAM OF BLAIR ADAM (1751-1839),
married the Hon Eleanor Elphinstone, daughter of Charles, 10th Lord Elphinstone, in 1777. He was Lord Chief Commissioner of the Jury Court [Scotland]; Lord-Lieutenant of Kinross-shire; Baron of the Exchequer [Scotland]; Member of Parliament.His second son,
ADMIRAL SIR CHARLES ADAM OF BLAIR ADAM KCB (1780-1853), a distinguished naval officer, married and his heir,
THE RT HON WILLIAM PATRICK ADAM CIE DL (1823-81), served as a colonial administrator and politician; Companion of the Most Eminent Order of the Indian Empire.
His eldest son,
(SIR) CHARLES ELPHINSTONE ADAM (1859-1922), was created a baronet in 1882.
He was a barrister and former army officer.
Sir Charles died childless in 1922, when the baronetcy became extinct. His estate devolved upon his nephew,
CAPTAIN CHARLES KEITH ADAM DSO RN (1891-1971), Lord-Lieutenant of Kinross-shire, 1955-66.
Captain Adam was raised in Australia but returned to Scotland to manage the estate.
His son, Keith Robert Adam (b 1944), is the present owner. The estate comprises 200 acres today.
BLAIR ADAM HOUSE, is located near Kelty, in Fife.
William Adam purchased the Blair Crambeth (subsequently Blair Adam) estate in 1731 and shortly afterwards built the modest five-bay two-storey house which forms the centre of the present building.
By 1736, Adam had enlarged the house by the addition of harled single-storey wings, originally of three bays, which continued the line of the original block.
Both were extended by John Adam in 1775, the south wing being heightened and given a bowed end.
The north wing was made an L-shape by the construction of a block across its end which stretches back to the west and joins it to the office range.
This range, originally very plain, was remodelled in 1815-16 and a low rubble-walled tower was built behind it.
First published in December, 2013.