JOHN OWDEN (1799-1867), of Brooklands, Belfast, and Sea Park, Carrickfergus, County Antrim, wedded Jane, daughter of John Greer, of Bernagh, County Tyrone, by Margaret his wife, daughter of Thomas Sinton, of Moyallan, County Down.
His only child,
MARGARET OWDEN (1842-1917), of Brooklands, wedded, in 1864, Thomas Greer JP, of Seapark, Carrickfergus, and Grove House, Regent's Park, London,
High Sheriff of Carrickfergus, 1870, and of County Tyrone, 1876; MP for Carrickfergus, 1880-85, and was the last representative at Westminster for that ancient borough.The Greers had issue, three daughters and one son,
Helena MacGregor (1865-1948);
Thomas MacGregor (1869-1941), baptised at Templecorran, County Antrim; sold Sea Park and leased Tullylagan from his cousin Frederick; educated at Eton and Trinity Hall Cambridge;
Georgina Beatrice (1872-1956);
Eva Mildred (1874-1951).
BROOKLANDS, Belfast, was a stuccoed Neo-Classical Georgian house of two storeys built ca 1840 by John Owden on the site of an old farm.
It had a three-bay front, prolonged at one end by a two-bay single-storey wing, and a five-bay side.
It had a pilastered porch and a single-storey, partly-bowed projection on the side elevation.
The roof was eaved on a bracket cornice.
The original farm fronted the present Malone Road, though it was broken up by the new Lisburn Road in 1819, and the railway line twenty years later.
GROVE HOUSE, Regent's Park, London (initially called Grove Lodge) was designed by Decimus Burton and built in 1823-24 for George Bellas Greenough (the first president of the Geological Society and President of the Royal Geographical Society 1830-40), who had obtained a building lease from the Crown Estate.
On the death of Greenough in 1855, Grove House passed to Francis Smedley (High Bailiff of Westminster) and then to his son the author Francis Edward (Frank) Smedley.
Following his death Mrs Smedley continued to occupy the house until 1877.
The family connection was maintained by Thomas Greer who occupied the house from Christmas 1878 until death in 1905.
When the Greer family returned to Ulster in 1907, Grove House was purchased at auction by the artist Sigismund Goetze.