JOHN HAMILTON BROWNE, of Comber House, County Londonderry, and Aughentaine, County Tyrone,
son of THOMAS BROWNE, of County Londonderry, by Elizabeth Hamilton his wife, niece of James Hamilton, provost of Strabane about 1720, and grandson of GEORGE BROWNE, also of Londonderry, by his wife Mary, daughter of Colonel Hogg.
He died in 1848, having left issue,
Conolly William Lecky, of Comber House; died unmarried;The second but eldest surviving son,
THOMAS RICHARDSON, his successor;
GEORGE, of Comber House;
Hannah Sidney; Elizabeth.
THOMAS RICHARDSON BROWNE JP DL (1810-82), of Aughentaine, High Sheriff of Tyrone, 1832, wedded, in 1839, Sarah, fourth daughter of Hervey Pratt de Montmorency DL, of Castle Morres, County Kilkenny, and by her had issue,
JOHN HERVEY, his heir;Mr Browne was succeeded by his eldest son,
Conolly William Lecky Browne-Lecky;
Rose Sarah; Caroline Frances; Matilda Theodosia.
JOHN HERVEY KNOX-BROWNE JP DL (1841-1927), of Aughentaine Castle,
High Sheriff of Tyrone, 1887; aide-de-camp to His Grace the Duke of Abercorn, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland; lieutenant-colonel, 9th Brigade, North Irish Division, Royal Artillery. He assumed the additional surname and arms of KNOX in 1874.He married, in 1867, Louisa Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Francis Arthur Knox-Gore Bt, of Belleek Manor, County Mayo, by Sarah his wife, daughter of Colonel Charles Nesbitt Knox, of Castle Lacken, County Mayo, and by her had issue,
Charles Arthur Hervey (1870-1934), died unmarried;Colonel Knox-Browne was succeeded by his second son,
MERVYN WILLIAM CHARLES NESBITT;
Sarah Hannah Madeline; Augusta Caroline; Eileen Hester Louisa.
MERVYN WILLIAM CHARLES NESBITT KNOX-BROWNE DL (1880-1954), of Aughentaine Castle, High Sheriff of County Tyrone, 1935, who married, in 1911, Mary, daughter of Captain Thomas Barry George, and by her had issue,
MERVYN HERVEY, his heir;Mr Knox-Browne was succeeded by his only son,
Louisa May (1912-69).
MERVYN HERVEY KNOX-BROWNE JP DL (1927-), of Aughentaine Castle, who wedded, in 1956, Catherine, daughter of Hugh Ferguson, and by her had issue,
DEIRDRE ROSEMARY KNOX-BROWNE, born in 1959.
Mr Knox-Browne, who moved to Perthshire, sold Aughentaine Castle to Lieutenant-Colonel J H Hamilton-Stubber DL. It was subsequently demolished in 1955.
An ancestor of the Hamilton-Stubbers, Hugh Hamilton, settled at Lisbane in County Down during the reign of JAMES I, died in 1665 and was interred at Bangor, County Down. Hugh's son was called John Hamilton, of Ballymenoch near Holywood. A second son was Alexander Hamilton, of Killyleagh.Richard John Hamilton-Stubber, son of J H Hamilton-Stubber, married the Hon Susanna Cynthia Brooke, daughter of John, 2nd Viscount Brookeborough, in 1989.
They have one son and one daughter.
It consisted of a two-storey main block and a lower two-storey wing, with two tall Italianate campaniles of equal height, one at each end.
There was an open porch; two-light and three-light windows some round-headed and others rectangular. The roofing was prominent.
The image above is shown by kind permission of the McClintock of Seskinore, which contains more pictures of Aughentaine.
The house was demolished ca 1955 by Colonel Hamilton-Stubber, who built a modern classical house (below) ca 1958 to the design of the Hon Claud Phillimore.
Land was acquired in the 18th century and a demesne was set out but not walled in.
An Italianate house was built in 1860.
There are many fine mature trees, evidence of the planting that took place for this imposing house.
The English landscape designer, Percy Cane, planned an ornamental garden for the house and this is maintained.
Excellent distant views can be seen from the house over Cane’s double terraces and tree-tops on lower ground.
Extensive rhododendron and other shrub planting cascades below the terraces and into the parkland to the south.
Expansion took place post-1958 in the planting beneath mature trees on either side of Ballyness Glen, which runs to the east of the house in an attractive declivity.
There is a lake on high ground to the north of the house, which has an island and is backed by a wood and, further back, extensive forest planting.
It is referred to as a ‘Fish Pond’ in 1858, prior to the erection of the 1860s house.
The 1860s stables are retained and beyond lies the walled garden, which is pre-1858. It is part-cultivated and the original glasshouses have gone except one, which is in operation.
Several bridges are necessary in the park: One, built in the 1860s, was designed as part of the planned landscape.
Aughentaine estate, near Fivemiletown, is renowned for its shoots, garden and forestry.
First published in September, 2010.