PARKMOUNT HOUSE, Antrim Road, Belfast, was a two-storey Georgian house with a three-storey return.
It had a six-bay front, with a single-storey Ionic portico.
Coupled columns were added later.
There were also Ionic loggias at the end of the house.
The portico was subsequently glazed and the loggia filled in with a one-storey projection.
The roof had a lofty, solid parapet.
To one side there was a substantial Victorian conservatory running parallel with the front of the house, though set back.
This concealed a lower service wing to the rear.
Parkmount was originally (c1666) a hunting-lodge or country residence of the Chichesters, Earls (later Marquesses) of Donegall.
The district now known as and called Oldpark must not be confused with the New Park, formed by the Lord Deputy's nephew, Arthur, 1st Earl of Donegall, which is recorded as having been in process of formation in 1666. It extended in an easterly direction from the Cave Hill towards Belfast Lough, terminating at Parkmount.Thereafter it was acquired by Thomas Ludford.
This lodge was rebuilt ca 1796 by Hugh Cairns:
The finest house on this road, or perhaps in the parish, is Parkmount, built by the late Mr Cairns, on or near the site of a residence, or hunting lodge, formerly belonging to the Donegall family.Mary Harriet, wife of the 1st Earl Cairns, was the eldest daughter of John McNeill, who purchased Parkmount from Captain William Cairns ca 1828.
The McNeills continued to reside at Parkmount for most of the 19th century; while the Cairnses moved to Cultra, County Down, at the opposite side of Belfast Lough.
It has been suggested that the Cairns family lived at Dalchoolin House, Cultra, now the location of the Ulster Transport Museum.
Parkmount House was demolished in 1932.
First published in May, 2013.