The noble family of NUGENT was settled in Ireland since the subjugation of that country by HENRY II.
SIR GILBERT DE NUGENT, one of the knights who accompanied Hugh de Lacie in the expedition to Ireland, having married Rosa, the sister of the said Hugh, obtained thereby the barony of Delvin; but, his sons predeceasing him, he was succeeded at his decease by his brother,
RICHARD NUGENT, whose only daughter and heiress carried the barony of Delvin into the family of Johns, or Jones, into which she married, and it so remained until brought back by the intermarriage of
SIR WILLIAM FITZRICHARD NUGENT, 1ST BARON DELVIN, of Balrath, descended from Christopher Nugent, 3rd brother of Sir Gilbert, with Catherine, daughter and heiress of John FitzJones, Baron Delvin.
This William was elected sheriff of Meath in 1401. He was succeeded at his decease by his eldest son,
RICHARD, 2nd Baron,
who, in consequence of his services and expenses in the king's wars, to the impoverishment of his fortune, had an order, dated at Trim, 1428, to receive twenty marks out of the exchequer.Having married, he was succeeded by his eldest son,
CHRISTOPHER, 3rd Baron, whose eldest son,
RICHARD, 4th Baron, who had summonses to Parliament in 1486, 1490, and 1493, and was constituted by the Lords Justices and Council, in 1496, commander and leader-in-chief of all the forces destined for the defence of counties Dublin, Meath, Kildare, and Louth.
He married the daughter of Sir Robert Preston, of Gormanston, and was succeeded by his son,
SIR RICHARD NUGENT, knight, 5th Baron, who married Elizabeth, daughter of the Earl of Kildare, and was succeeded by his son,
CLONYN CASTLE, also known as Delvin Castle, is situated in Delvin, County Westmeath.
- Christopher, 6th Baron (1544–1602)
- Richard, 7th Baron (1583–1642) (created Earl of Westmeath in 1621)
Earls of Westmeath (1621)
- Richard, 1st Earl (1583–1642)
- Richard, 2nd Earl (1621–1684)
- Richard, 3rd Earl (died 1714)
- Thomas, 4th Earl (1669–1752)
- John, 5th Earl (1671–1754)
- Thomas, 6th Earl (1714–1792)
- George Frederick, 7th Earl (1760–1814)
- George Thomas John, 8th Earl (1785–1871) (created Marquess of Westmeath in 1822)
Marquesses of Westmeath (1822)
- George Thomas John, 1st Marquess (1785–1871)
Earls of Westmeath (1621; Reverted)
The heir apparent is the present holder's son Sean Charles Weston Nugent, Lord Delvin (b 1965).
- Anthony Francis, 9th Earl (1805–1879)
- William St George, 10th Earl (1832–1883)
- Anthony Francis, 11th Earl (1870–1933)
- Gilbert Charles, 12th Earl (1880–1971)
- William Anthony, 13th Earl (born 1928)
The first castle (now in ruins) is believed to have been built in 1181 by Hugh de Lacy the Norman, Lord of Meath for his brother-in-law, Sir Gilbert de Nugent.
Sir Gilbert, originally from the Nogent-le-Rotrou area in France, came to Ireland with Hugh de Lacy in 1171 and settled on some land in Delvin and was granted the title Baron of Delvin.
The ruins of Nugent Castle, burnt when Cromwell's army approached, remain near the centre of the city.
Clonyn Castle is a square, symmetrical, two-storey, 19th century castle of cut limestone. It has four tall, round corner towers.
The interior has a large two-storey hall with gallery and enormous arcading.
In 1639 Richard Nugent, 1st Earl of Westmeath, build another more recent castle, situated on the dominating ground, and now overlooking Delvin urbanised area today, may be referred to as either Delvin or Clonyn Castle.
Following the death of the 8th Earl and 1st and last Marquess of Westmeath in 1871, Clonyn passed to his only surviving child Lady Rosa, wife of the 1st Lord Greville.
After the 2nd World War, the castle served briefly as a home for 97 Jewish children, most of them orphans of the Holocaust.
A public golf course lies behind the more recent castle, 500 yards from Delvin centre.
Westmeath arms courtesy of European Heraldry.