Hugh (1606-41), m Magdalen, dau of R Cowell, Co Armagh;
JOHN, of whom hereafter;
Margaret, m Ven R Maxwell, ancestor of EARLS OF FARNHAM;
Isabel, m A Stewart, of Ballintoy;
Jane, m H Maxwell, of Finnebrogue.
JOHN ECHLIN, of Ardquin, made a free denizen of Ireland in 1633, married Mary, daughter of Sir Francis Stafford, Knight, of Mount Stafford, County Antrim, and had issue,
ROBERT, his heir;
Francis, of Clonown, Co Antrim;
Jane; Elizabeth; Mary.
ROBERT ECHLIN (1628-57), of Ardquin, married Mary, daughter of Dr Henry Leslie, Lord Bishop of Meath, formerly of Down &, Connor, having by her (who wedded secondly, Sir Robert Ward Bt) had issue,
JOHN ECHLIN, of Ardquin, married, in 1678, Hester, daughter and heir of William Godfrey, of Coleraine, and had, with other issue,
CHARLES, his heir;
ROBERT (Rev), s his brother;
Godfrey, of Marlfield;
James, of Echlinville;
Mary; Jane; Hester; Elizabeth; Rose.
CHARLES ECHLIN (1682-1754), MP for Dungannon, 1727-54, espoused, in 1709, Ann, daughter of Thomas Knox, of Dungannon, and had an only son, THOMAS, who dsp.
Mr Echlin was succeeded by his brother,
THE REV ROBERT ECHLIN, of Ardquin, incumbent of Newtownards, County Down, who wedded, in 1722, Jane, one of the daughters and co-heirs of James Manson, of Tynan, County Armagh, and by her had issue,
JOHN, his heir;
JOHN ECHLIN (1723-89), of Thomastown, High Sheriff of County Down, 1758, who married his first cousin, Hester, daughter of Godfrey Echlin, of Marlfield, and had issue,
CHARLES, his heir;
Robert, died unmarried;
Godrey, died in infancy;
JOHN, successor to his brother;
James, died unmarried;
Jane, m G Matthews, of Springvale (Ballywalter Pk).
CHARLES ECHLIN, of Echlinville, County Down, which latter place he inherited from his great-uncle, James Echlin.
Mr Echlin was High Sheriff of County Down in 1777.
He married firstly, Miss Anne Newburgh, of Ballyhaise House, County Cavan, by whom he had issue, a daughter, Letitia, who died unmarried.
Mr Echlin wedded secondly, Miss Anne Graham, by whom he had issue, CHARLES GRAHAM, who died in infancy, and three daughters, all of whom died unmarried.
He died in 1817, and was succeeded by his brother,
JOHN ECHLIN (1757-1825), of Echlinville, who married, in 1786, Thomasine Hannah, daughter of George Fleming, of Dublin (of the family of the Barons Slane) and had a son, JOHN, his heir, and a daughter, Thomasine.
He was succeeded by his only son,
JOHN ROBERT, his heir;
Elizabeth; Hester; Thomasine Margaret; Jane; Margaretta; Harriet.
John Pedder (1837-8).He wedded secondly, in 1841, Mary Anne, daughter of Ford North, of The Oaks, Ambleside, Westmorland, and by her had issue,
JOHN GODFREY, his heir;Mr Echlin espoused thirdly, in 1878, Henriette Wilhelmine Louise Margarethe, eldest daughter of Richard Von Oertzen, of Upper Lusatia, Germany, and by her had no issue.
Frederick, captain RN;
Alfred Ford (Rev);
Edith Althea; Thomasine Mary.
The Rev J R Echlin was succeeded by his eldest son,
JOHN GODFREY ECHLIN (1843-), of Ardquin, who wedded, in 1870, Anna Medici, elder daughter and co-heir of the Rev John Wrixon, Vicar of Malone, County Antrim, youngest son of Captain John Wrixon, by his wife Anne Arabella, daughter and co-heiress of Rear-Admiral John Dawson, of Carrickfergus, and had issue,
JOHN STAFFORD;His eldest son,
Godfrey Cecil, Lieutenant RN;
Bertram Wrixon, RNR.
JOHN STAFFORD ECHLIN (1872-1952), married, in 1906, Georina Hedwig Ida, daughter of John Albert Faller, of Crefeldt, Germany, and widow of Charles James Heddon, of Aldbourne, Wiltshire.
CAPTAIN FREDERICK ECHLIN RN, of Echlinville House, Kircubbin, County Down, had an only son,
FREDERICK ST JOHN FORD NORTH ECHLIN (1889-1916), who was killed in action.
The deceased officer was in the Malay States on the break of the war, and came home and volunteered for service.
He married a daughter of Major Saumarez Dobree Ronceval, of Guernsey, and granddaughter of the Dean of Guernsey.
"ECHLIN - On the 26th Sept., FREDERICK ST JOHN FORD NORTH ECHLIN, 2nd Lieut., Royal Fusiliers, and Royal Flying Corps, only son of the late Capt. Frederick Echlin, RN., formerly of Echlinville, Co. Down, and of Mrs Echlin, Wellfield, Walton-on-Thames, and dearly-loved husband of Dorothy Echlin (nee Dobree'), of Guernsey, CI."JOHN GODFREY ECHLIN (1843-), of Ardquin, married, in 1870, Anna Medici, elder daughter and co-heir of the Rev John Wrixon MA, Vicar of Malone, had issue,
The estate was bought by the Rev Hugh Maxwell in 1748 from Charles Echlin, great-great-grandson of the Bishop, in trust for his brother James, High Sheriff of County Down, 1742, who died in 1755.
The present house, near Kircubbin, County Down, is on the site of a late 17th century house, of which the late 18th library addition survives.
The present house dates from about 1850.
It remained in possession of this family until about 1848, when it appears to have been sold to a James Cleland who, ca 1850, rebuilt the house in the Italianate form we see today and renamed it "Rubane House" (the former name of the townland of Echlinville).
The old house was Jacobean-Queen Anne in style, with two two-storey ogee-gabled bays flanking the main entrance.
It was added to throughout the later 18th century.
Of these additions, the most significant was the library to the north-west, an element of the older structure which remained in place after the rebuilding of the main house.
Rubane House later passed into the hands of the Maxwell family; and, by 1880, was in possession of the Warnock family, relations of the Maxwells, who may have embellished the property.
During the first half of the 20th century the house played host to a number of different occupants, among them the Belfast timber merchant, J P Corry.
In 1950, Rubane and its accompanying lands were purchased by the De La Salle Brothers, and between this date and 1985, the house was run as a home and school for orphaned and special needs boys.
During this period extensive building work was carried out in the immediate grounds of the house with the construction of modern classrooms, gymnasiums, wood and metalworking rooms and chalets; playing fields and tennis courts laid out to the north and north-west.
A small section of the modern school buildings was occupied briefly by another religious order about 1990, but for most of the late 1980s and early 1990s the entire site was left mainly vacant and Rubane House itself fell prey to vandals, who caused some minor damage.
The property was bought in 1992 by the present owner, who has subsequently demolished almost all trace of the modern classrooms etc. around the house and carried out extensive restoration work to the house itself.
This work is now virtually complete and much of the grounds to the south have been landscaped.
The stables to the north are to be restored.
The Eclinville Distillery operates on the estate.
The small garden pavilion of 1787 originally had open arches and Coade stone embellishments.
About 1800, with the building of the stable block to the north-east, walls were placed to the north-west and north-east of the pavilion, the arches blocked, a new entrance opened to the north-east.
As well as this an internal wall, fireplaces and, presumably, the small chimney stack, were installed.
Windows were also added to the south-east and north-west arches.
Some distance away, at a stream, there are remains of the 1740s designed landscape; a stone bridge, retaining a Coade stone head and face.
Near by is an unusual structure known as the Pebble House, which has a richly modelled front, niches, battlemented parapet and domed roof with lantern finial.
It shows extensive ornamental planting, with sinuous woodland paths, a pond with island, artificial meandering 'rivers' and other landscape features.
This was labelled 'fish pond' on the 1790 map.