Thursday 15 December 2011

The Hollister Experience

Doubtless you'll be glad to know that the condition of Mersey Street has not improved for cyclists since my last journey. It is a notable example of Roads Disservice handiwork.

Well I donned several layers of heavy clothes, including the weighty British Warm overcoat, and mounted the trusty two-wheeler for the trip into Belfast.

Having done a spot of research at the venerable old Linenhall Library, I walked across the streets to Sawers delicatessen in College Street, where I purchased some rashers of streaky smoked bacon, hand-carved. I requested that it be sliced extra thinly, because I favour my streaky bacon very crisp.

At Victoria Square shopping centre I wandered about rather aimlessly, till I encountered a curious shop, ostensibly nameless, with a queue of people outside.

I spoke to a lady opposite and asked her if this was Hollinger's new store. Yes, it was. My pal Mairi had told me about it, though I couldn't get its name quite correct.

A glutton for punishment and with a little time to spare, I boldly joined the queue. Then I noticed their name just above the ground: Hollister Co.

For those readers who are unaware of Hollister, it is a division of Abercrombie and Fitch, originally designed to attract consumers aged 14–18, at a lower price point than the parent brand, through its SoCal-inspired image and casual wear.

I had to wait for seven or eight minutes till I was permitted to enter. Hollister has successfully created a certain image for itself, I'll grant them that. I ambled round the store, getting a feel for it.

Whilst Timothy Belmont would not be averse to being kitted out in their apparel, I feel I'd need a lady beside me for guidance. Dressed in my heavy overcoat, scarf, gloves and Trilby hat, I felt more like a protagonist in Downton Abbey than a preppy Californian teenager. Ha!

6 comments :

Alan in Belfast (Alan Meban) said...

Only been inside once myself ... it's far too dark to see their stock. (And I'm far too square to buy anything.)

Anonymous said...

lol oh Timothy! lol

Clare mclaughlin said...

LoL tim I should have been there and got kitted out. And take the MUFFIN LMAO.

Timothy Belmont said...

I didn't notice anything large enough for her. ;-)

Anonymous said...

To fully experience the hell that is Hollister, it is necessary to do so in the company of a bevy of 13 year old girls.

I will lend you some and you can have the dubious pleasure of taking them to Hollister and I will find a coffee shop.

You may require gin afterwards.

Timothy Belmont said...

Ha ha! Make that an extra large one. :-)