Thursday 8 September 2011

Dublin: I

Timothy Belmont is spening a few days in Dublin's fair city. I'd forgotten how impressive this capital city truly is. Having bought a "hop on-hop off" bus tour ticket for €16, it seems to have been money well spent. The demi-open top bus stops at all the major Sights, including St Patrick's national cathedral, Dublin Castle, Trinity College and Phoenix Park, where we caught a glimpse of the stately Vice Regal Lodge, now the official residence of the Irish head-of-state.


The bus ticket lasts for two days. You can hop on and off where and when you wish and buses are every ten minutes.

I'm with the old drinking compadre, BP.

We visited St Patrick's Cathedral yesterday, a venerable and ancient place of worship, formerly patronized by the illustrious Guinness dynasty. The Viceregal Stall in the nave was pointed out to me. The banners insignia of the erstwhile Knights of the Most Illustrious Order of St Patrick hang above the Choir, including three royal banners, those of Queen Victoria and two of her Majesty's sons.

Thence we were brought to the Guinness Storehouse and its Gravity Bar on the top floor. I sampled some of the celebrated Black Stuff and I am assured that the St James's Gate variety is silky smooth, creamy and superlative.

We fancied a bit of musical entertainment and fodder, so we found an establishment called O'Neill's Bar, well known for its carvery and music. Indeed, I had a very good lamb shank on the bone with plenty of vegetables. Thereafter I drank London gin for the duration.

No comments :