Tuesday 26 April 2011

William Craig (MP) 1924-2011

I learned on the news this morning that the former Unionist minister and MP, William (Bill) Craig has died.

I never met him, though I can recount a little anecdote: During the late seventies or early eighties, my father and I were boating on Lough Erne. We were at the Manor House Hotel in Killadeas for a snack.

Bill Craig was seated on his own in a quiet part of the large lounge bar, minding his own business, reading a newspaper and having a drink. He habitually left his boat, which I think may have been called Gaffer Goose or Duck, at the marina. The cruiser appeared to be somewhat neglected, with dirt and weeds growing on parts of the decking.

I believe the Craigs owned a little island, Gaffer Island, not far from the Hotel. I also seem to recall that they flew the Union Jack or Red Ensign from the jetty. They lived in a static caravan near the jetty.

Rumours were circulating at the time that, owing to paramilitary threats, the Craigs hadn't been able to construct a permanent home on the little island. I have no idea as to the validity of that theory.

7 comments :

Gavin Bamford said...

One of the last remaining NI Privy Councillors.

Timothy Belmont said...

Oh indeed. John Taylor, Lord Kilclooney, must be one of the last...

Anonymous said...

Was he any relation of Lord Craigavon? I just read his biography and sounds a bit like Oswald Mosley or Roderick Spode from Jeeves & Wooster! I'm not sure he'd have been quite so amusing... VC

Irishlad said...

Anyone remember Vanguard?...

Timothy Belmont said...

I vaguely remember Vanguard:\wasn't the Lord Empey connected?

Ahhh, the inestimable Spode, who called himseld Lord Sidcup! I'm presently reading one of my favourite Jeeves & Wooster's. :-)

Anonymous said...

Interesting to see comment on William Craig's passing here on this magnificent blog. For such an incredibly unique figure in modern British political history the coverage of his death in the national media in particular has been ridiculously lowkey - TS

Timothy Belmont said...

Many thanks indeed for the praise.