Thursday 24 February 2011

Show of the Week


I've been recording the 1969 documentary series, Civilisation, by the late Kenneth Clark (the Rt Hon the Lord Clark OM CH KCB).

Needless to say, Lord Clark was illustriously decorated:

  • Member of the Order of Merit
  • Companion of Honour
  • Knight Commander of the Civil Division of Most Honourable Order of the Bath

Kenneth Clark
's landmark series tracing the development of civilisation is being shown in high definition for the first time on the BBC HD Channel.

The acclaimed thirteen-part series was first shown on BBC Two in 1969 and swiftly became one of the most important arts series of its time.

Civilisation is being shown weekly on BBC HD, Wednesdays at 10pm.

Kenneth, Lord Clark, was a remarkable character, having been appointed Director of London's National Gallery at 30 years of age.

Clark's elder son, the Rt Hon Alan Clark, became a prominent Conservative MP, a writer-historian and celebrated diarist; and I have to say, as I have stated on previous occasions, I hold a sneaking admiration for him despite his flaws and perceived caddishness. I certainly share some of his sentiments with regard to politics.

I have Alan Clark's collection of Diaries and a terrific book about motoring (from Clark's perspective) and his collection of classic cars entitled Back Fire, which I thoroughly recommend.

No comments :