Thursday 5 August 2010

Car Change

I have experienced some anguish over whether to change my car. I'm thinking of buying a Mercedes-Benz 200SLK automatic. Though it wouldn't be brand new, the model I viewed today - at Agnew's - is metallic blue, 2008, with 10,000 miles on the clock.

I just might be tempted to change, if they sharpen up the deal a bit. The car would have the full Mercedes Approved Warranty and, I am assured, a new set of alloy wheels and mats - and, indeed, anything else required. The wheels are badly pitted which, they claim, was a design flaw. Perhaps the previous owner lived near the sea!

I was shown the car in its "raw" state, viz. "unprepped". It had literally just come in to them and I saw it "with warts and all". It doesn't look very clean, with scuffs inside and so on; though, to be fair, they assured me that when they had finished with it, it would look like new.

My current motor insurance company shan't insure the car because it doesn't have a tracking system fitted! It does have a standard Mercedes Thatcham-approved alarm, though.

I'm in two minds, as ever. The best insurance quotation I have had from another company is £461; though a broker service called Prestige has also quoted £500.

Dearer insurance, dearer car tax, dearer servicing, thirstier...am I sane? Don't answer that!

6 comments :

Alan in Belfast (Alan Meban) said...

But your SMART is wonderful!

Timothy Belmont said...

That's why I'm insane! It has LOADS of extras and cost almost £10,000 a year ago. Agnew's are offering me £6,000 for it as a trade-in. It has 5,600 miles on the clock.

belfast cabby said...

I understand the lure of the SLK because well lets face it there lovely, but not sure i could part with the SMART if it was me.

Does it make sense to trade a year old car for a older one?

Sandy said...

You are clinically insane, but then you always have been.
Check Agnews' servicing costs and you will see what I mean.
Try confused.com for insurance quotations. You only have to load your details once, then you can re-run a check every time renewal comes up. I have had a new company every year, and typically pay £250 for an E-class estate.

Timothy Belmont said...

No need to remind me re the old sanity, Sandy. :-)

Hope they're going to organize a taxi service for Reunion in Autumn, BTW.

D Agnew is filthy rich: probably £100m at last count. We know why.

An oil service on SLK costs ca £250, I think.

I've tried Confused.com and £460 is cheapest quote. It's an expensive car, even 2 years old! You know my age, I have a clean record, no accidents or convictions.

Alan in Belfast (Alan Meban) said...

Keep the SMART, save the planet!