Friday 16 April 2010

Delay: Day I

Well, I am still in the hotel. We were all ready to be collected for transfer to the airport this morning and good old Tommy Cook decided to let us remain at our hotel; so, effectively, I have at least one more day's holiday at the resort. Pity the poor souls still at home or in airports, whose holidays were supposed to commence a day or two ago. No amount of compensation, if they are entitled to it, would make up for a curtailed holiday. Better safe than sorry, though, as I said before.

I am obliged to check their notice-board at 19:00 this evening for an update. I'm in no rush to get home, at any rate. I have plenty of Euros in reserve and VISA cards.

The upshot of it all is that I paid a visit to the off-license - or whatever they call those shops over here - and purchased a half-bottle of Gordon's gin, which I will transfer in to miniatures for the flight etc. I'll have a few snifters shortly and, if there's any left, the chambermaid can have it. I am not paying Tommy £3.60 for a miniature. The half-bottle cost €6.25, so work it out.

I have already said cheerio to all the hotel staff and given them the benefit of Timothy Belmont's largesse and beneficence - you know, a few notes here and there, the odd bar of Cadbury's Dairy Milk Caramel etc.

So I am quite happily settling in for another evening at the hotel.

No comments :