Saturday 25 October 2008

Minnowburn: Digging In The Rain

We were shovelling, at least; and, as it happened, we enjoyed a reprieve from a dreary, rainy day as the rain stopped for awhile. Four of us all assembled at the Warden's Office and, following coffee and a good chat, we drove up to the newly landscaped area adjacent to the Rose Garden at the top of the hill.

Earlier in the week, a volunteer group had begun the construction of a new footpath; and our task was to level the ground beside the path of any surplus sods or soil. Mick explained that he hoped to plant wild flower seeds there next year.

We had our packed lunch - sandwiches and coffee - back at the Office; then Mick led us to the back field, where Kevin marked out his patch for an allotment. It shall be interesting to see what vegetables he selects to grow there next year. Mick suggested peas, beans and cabbage.

On the way home, I stopped off at Curry's electrical store to see the Panasonic televisions. No joy there: they did not have the set I'm interested in - "Panasonic and LCD don't go together", uttered the young sales man.

2 comments :

Cadiz said...

I was on the towpath during the rains, it was fair dinkum, hadn't seen that since I came back,

I think a lot of the banking is loose, man made or summat. It was totally far out.

Some of the lock gates were uncovered, I phoned friends in Seattle as I stood beside one, I was quite chuffed.

Timothy Belmont said...

Beautiful spot, Minnowburn. Underrated.