Monday 28 April 2008

Hands Up For The Ulster Fry!


After the hike yesterday, I decided to give the lawn its first dosage of lawn-feed. That should give it a boost. Shortly thereafter, we enjoyed a few modest glasses of our regular red plonk: Tesco Sicilian. Cheap & cheerful stuff. I'm no wine snob; as long as it's gluggable and not too obnoxious, it's OK.

I'd taken a few fillet steaks out of the freezer the previous evening for de-frosting in the fridge. Sunday was to be a Red Letter Day in the Household: my celebrated Ulster Fry, except we indulged in fillet steaks instead of bangers on this occasion. Delicious it was, too. I simply cannot get enough potato-bread. I love it! Must have eaten six farls, plus a portion of soda-bread and an egg.

I have found, by a modicum of experience, that the trick is to have a hot grill ready. Fry the food in a hot pan; and shovel it under the grill whenever the food is fried. That prevents it from getting soggy. The trouble with frying is that your shirt reeks of the fry-up afterwards! Perhaps I use too much cooking-oil.

So that's the monthly Ulster Fry; cannot wait till the next one!

2 comments :

Stephen Barnes said...

Grilled tatey-bread (or soda for that matter) just isn't right! Try a thin smear of olive oil or butter (yum) on it BEFORE you pop it into the grill. All the flavour without too much of the fat, and a nice crispy surface to boot.

Timothy Belmont said...

Must try that :-)

Tim